The Definitive Guide To Creating & Selling Workout Plans Online
April 7th 2020. By Workout Depot.
One of the important challenges faced by many personal trainers and fitness professionals is how to scale their business. In-person sessions are a great source of income, but this time-for-money method of earning is always limited by time. There are only so many hours in a day & wouldn’t it be nice to earn money even when you’re not on the gym floor?
Selling workout plans online provides a scalable alternative. Allowing personal trainers to showcase their expertise and experience in the form of a high-quality guides & plans. Unlike face-to-face sessions, there’s no limit to the number of workout plans you can sell, providing a scalable source of income. Better still, a source of income that can complement your existing income sources, without a huge drain on your time and finances.
In this article, we breakdown everything you need to know to start selling workout plans online & grow your sales.
The Market For Workout Plans
Workout & training plans bridge an important gap in the fitness world. The gap between one-to-one coaching and self-programming. The importance of one-to-one, hands-on sessions cannot be overstated in the early days of an individual’s fitness journey: correcting & dialling in form, gaining familiarity with equipment & initial motivation are of all vital importance.
The hope would be for these sessions to continue, but more often than not, individuals will often move away from these sessions, either due to the cost involved, or the desire to train without the hands-on oversight offered by coaches & personal trainers. It’s at this point where workout plans play a vital role & show their true value.
The true value of a training plan lies in;
• Removing the uncertainty & guesswork from training.
• Accessing the expert knowledge & experience of a fitness professional’s programming.
• The trust & belief gained by following a workout plan designed by a qualified and reputable coach.
• Maximizing the efficiency & benefits of every training session with bespoke training methods tailored to their goals or sport.
It’s these tailored workout plans that are in demand, from achieving specific goals (weight loss, strength, mobility etc.) to increase performance in a specific sport.
All these goals and sports need a carefully written workout plan to guide the individual to their end goal.
Setting Your Workout Plans Apart From Free Alternatives
There are a lot of free workout & training plans found online, these can be tempting for an individual, particularly when first moving away from one-to-one session to self-programming. The quality of such workout plans varies considerably with the majority providing little detail and questionable quality.
Therefore, to sell your workout plans, customers need to be made aware of the considerable increase in quality, insight and programming their receiving through one of your training plans. In short, your plans need to add more value than what free alternatives offer, so they can be set apart. Two approaches can be taken to set your plans apart;
• Deliver a high-quality workout plan with more value & insight than can be accessed for free.
• Offer highly specific & tailored workout plans to meet the needs of a target audience i.e. focused on improving performance in a specific sport or event.
Adding value and enhancing the quality of your workout plans can be achieved by;
• Providing crystal clear guidance – including photos of the exercises being performed or giving access to a private tutorial library. Highlighting key points of the movements and guidance on how to perform them with correct form.
• Tailoring a plan not just to a sport or goal, but also to an ability or experience level – It’s important to consider the prerequisite knowledge & anticipated ability of your target audience to tailor your terminology and training.
• Proving nutritional tips – such as example meal recipes & calorie tracking.
• Answering pre & post-sale questions to give customers confidence that your workout plan suits them and will help them in achieving their desired goal. Answering post-sales queries is a key way to add value and boost your positive feedback.
• Presenting your plan in high quality, easy to read/follow format. The focus should always be on content but presenting that content simply & clearly can go along way in setting your plans apart.
• Take advantage of your own knowledge and expertise! You’ll undoubtedly be writing workout plans in an area which you have a vast wealth of experience and expertise. Channel that insider knowledge learnt from a career in fitness into your plans to give unrivaled quality and user experience. We at Workout Depot, believe that experience and expertise is critical to a successful workout plan, that’s why selling on our platform is reserved for qualified fitness professionals.
Building The Credibility Of Yourself & Your Workout Plans
Building credibility is an essential part of marketing & selling your workout plans. Ultimately, a user of your plans needs to believe that your plan can help them achieve their goals. It’s your job to convince them of your credibility to advise them in this area & that your plan offers the complete solution to their needs.
This can be achieved in various ways;
• Offer insight into who you are & your background. Every plan listed on Workout Depot displays an ‘About Author’ section. This is your opportunity to connect with your customers on a personal level and allow them to understand who you are as a fitness professional. To buy from you, customers need to know your credible. Sharing your story helps build credibility and trust. This could include; your sporting background, previous events, qualifications, experience & motivations. Your ‘About Author’ section is your opportunity to set yourself apart from others & connect with your customers.
• Provide free content to your target audience. Offering free content to your target audience provides the initial introduction to connect with customers & grow your audience. Whether it be, nutrition or exercise tips, insight into your personal training regime, tackling common misconceptions or diving deep into complex topics. All are ways of building personal credibility with your audience & proving the value of your workout plans. Delivering this content can be done by either by social media or a blog. If you don’t have your own a blog, we’re always looking for fitness professionals to add to our own, ‘The WD Library’, which offers free training advice to our users. In addition to boosting your own profile, we also offer half-price fees for three months to any seller that features on our blog. Email [email protected] if your interested.
• Give a comprehensive & clear description of your workout plans. Customers of your plans need to feel completely confident that your workout plan is suitable for them and is aimed at achieving their desired goals. A clear description should include a complete overview of the entire workout plan and how it progresses over time, the equipment needed to follow the plan, the ability level the plan is aimed at & the goals and aims of the plan. The more detail you can provide the better. Try to anticipate & answer any questions a potential customer may have about your plan. We advise all our sellers on Workout Depot to assign all the plan attributes in their listing (where possible). This includes the plan length, plan aims, training days per week, average workout length etc. This information is then shown clearly on the plan listing to help customers make an informed decision.
• Backing up your workout plans with proof. Providing proof is invaluable, and arguably the most important factor in building credibility. This could be in the form of previous results from individuals who have followed your plan; progress photos, event completions, new personal bests, sporting wins etc. Recognising the importance of reviews and the impact they have on building credibly. Workout Depot protects all our sellers by only allowing individuals who have purchased your plans to leave a review (known as verified buyers). This way, you can focus on building a positive set of reviews to give future buyers confidence in your workout plans.
The Format Of A Workout Plan
The format of your workout plans can take many forms, but will usually be in the format of either an eBook or a spreadsheet– or a combination of the two! It all depends on personal preference. Here’s some advantages of either options:
• Easy to present your workout plans in a quality design and layout.
• Can incorporate images into the layout to aid in the visual design including exercise images or infographics.
• Better for plans consisting of large text sections i.e. overview or nutritional guidance.
• User friendly when viewed on a mobile device.
• Can utilise relationships and formulas to incorporate automatically calculated progressions based on previously inputted workout analytics.
• Easier to display large volumes of exercises & rep/distance variations.
• Can use separate ‘sheets’ to structure the plan into individual training blocks.
• Allows users to track their workout analytics & progress within the plan (although some do prefer an old fashion log book!)
If your torn between the two, get the best of both worlds and use both! Using an eBook style to detail all the plans information and training breakdowns in a quality design. Which is then supplemented by a spreadsheet for customers to use when tracking their progress and progressions.
If your looking to save time and money creating a quality eBook design, we’ve created one for free! It’s fully customisable to add your own branding, programming and images.
The Structure Of A Workout Plan
Just like the format, the structure of your plans is highly dependent on your personal preference. One critical point to note is that regardless of the structure used, the plan needs to be crystal clear for your customers to follow unaided. So really try to put yourself in the shoes of potential followers of your plan to make sure very aspect of the plan is clear. It’s well worth giving your plans to trusted friends /family first (or some trail users) to double check the plan is clear to someone who has never seen it before. If possible, try to trail it with individuals from your target audience to make sure the plan is tailored to their level and focus. Try to pre-empt potential questions a follower of your plan would ask and have the answer ready, either embedding the answers within sections of your workout plans or even creating a dedicated FAQs section.
A typical workout plan structure would be:
- Cover page
- Introduction / about Author
- Program Overview
- Tips / key points
- Nutritional guidance
- Programming split
- Optional training block pages (should the program follow distant phases)
This is the structure used in our free workout plan eBook.
Pricing Your Workout Plans
The price of your training plan will largely be determined by the value offered by your plan and it’s uniqueness. Both factors are critical when it comes to selling workout plans. Simply put, if you want to sell your workout plans for a higher price, you need to show your customers that you offer more value, either over the free alternatives or other paid plans. To add more value, consider incorporating some of the points mentioned in the above section “Setting your workout plans apart from free alternatives”.
If your knowledge and experience permits, consider writing & selling a workout plan for a niche market, such as a lesser-known sport or goal, where competition is lower.
Consider using discounts and sale periods to help drive traffic and sales to your training plans. Options may include offering a discount around a specific sporting season or offering discount codes to loyal followers of your social media or blog. We actively promote & give sellers the tools to do both when selling their workout plans with us.
Marketing Your Workout Plans
Once you’ve designed your program, it’s time to market & sell your workout plan. There are various ways of promoting and selling your workout plans;
• Talking to customers face-to-face. Whether it be on a gym floor, sporting field or anywhere else, talking one-to-one with your customers allows you to fully explain your training plan in detail – although you could argue a well-written plan description also achieves this.
• Advertising your plans to your social media following or email list. Building a following takes time, but also gives you a considerable potential customer base. Providing insights into your own training methods & lifestyle will go a long way in building personal credibility in the eyes of your customers. Releasing small snippets and extracts from your plan can also be a great source of marketing & generating interest from your following. Which can be followed up with exclusive discounts and offers to sell your full workout plans.
• Advertise your plans on your blog. Posting informative content on your blog is a great way to build up your audience and promote your training plans.
Sell Your Workout Plans With Us
Whilst the approaches above are great methods to generate interest in your workout plans, we at Workout Depot felt that none of these options completely catered to the needs of fitness professionals when it came to selling workout plans. That’s why we created our platform.
Workout Depot is an online platform created solely for use by fitness professionals to market and sell training plans. Workout Depot is fully equipped to handle payments by either card or PayPal, removing the stress of payments from the equation. Each seller has access to their own personalised seller portal to upload training plans, analyse sales and communicate with customers. In short, we offer a complete solution to any fitness professional who’s looking to sell workout plans online and create an e-commerce presence.
Using Workout Depot comes with no costly subscriptions or listing fee’s, you only ever pay a fee when you sell a plan. We provide all the benefits of an e-commerce platform, without the expense and hassle.
Existing sources of marketing can still be used to promote your plans, such as social media & blog posts. Simply copy the URL of your workout plans into any marketing content you produce and let us take care of the rest. Your sales funds are automatically deposited into your linked account at the end of each month & can be tracked at any time from within your personalised seller portal.